Thursday 24 February 2011

Portable record players

I have been researching in to all the different types of record players that are out there at the moment. There are only a few types of players that are portable and are mainly in the shape of a suitcase for convenience of carrying. The record player I plan to make would be less practical than an actual portable record player as it will be more of a piece of art than a product.

I wonder, will I end up making my record player into a different shape? Something humorous? No, I try to be humorous too often and to be honest, i'm not that funny. Ideally, I'd like to make the record player look quite old and 'vintage' as some people shout at each other in an american accent.

This player (above photograph) is a perfect example of the general construction of a record player; what you see is what you get! I will be constructing my record player from scratch. I will need to make the box out of wood and get hold of a motor and a needle to make the player work.
This is just an example of the cleverest construction of compacting the player into the smallest way possible. I'd prefer to do a minimalistic style for my final piece but i'd rather do something larger and more advanced. Plans of my record player will be up in the next blog.

1 comment:

  1. Will it play? I'm trying to figure out how to make a suitcase player. I've got the player and suitcase now how do I generate power? (car battery, cell batts) and secondly I've got 2 RCA cables im wanting to hook to medium size speakers, how can make this portable as possible?

    ReplyDelete